Wednesday, February 25, 2015

#TBT: Deborah Lippmann Across the Universe

*Purchased by Me*

Hi everyone! Here's my first edition of #TBT! I'm trying to go through my stash and pick out colors I've had untried for ages or wore ages ago. I don't know if I will do it every Thursday, but there will be some #TBT here and there going forward! Original? No. Fun? Well, yeah!

Today's polish was one of my first high-end polish experiences. Deborah Lippmann Across the Universe was such a lemming after I saw it featured on Chloe's Nails in one of her cool patchwork manis. At the time, I had super short nails and zero polishing skills (this was circa fall 2010), so when it finally arrived and I tried it out for the first time, I HATED IT on me. I still oohed and ahhed at it on other people, but not me. I have not put it on since then, but I haven't gotten rid of it for nostalgic reasons. I figured AtU deserved another chance now that I'm a little more advanced in my polishing skills and my nails have improved a bit, so here are the results!

Deborah Lippmann Across the Universe is a deep blue jelly base with green, silver, and blue glitters. Formula is ok to to work with, but I find that it gets a bit clumpy doing multiple coats, so I decided to layer 2 coats over a deep blue base (Elevation Polish Definition: The Vivid Unknown). I think that I realized years ago that I liked the way this polish looked better layered than by itself, so I went that route straight away. It does still need a thicker topcoat to smooth it out. I must say that I'm still not in love with it. I think after being hit over the head with amazing glitter after glitter from indie brands, AtU is just lacking some oomph for me. I think maybe if it had a splash of holo glitter in it it might even improve it a bit. I actually think I have a random Hits polish (Blue Jazz) that is very similar but has holo glitters and I like it MUCH better.




And just in case you were interested...here was my first mani with it. I think that this time is it was a bit better (is it sad that I still have this picture?).


All of that being said, this polish was really innovative and awesome in its time. It's still a really pretty polish, but it just doesn't wow me as much as it used to. I really applaud Deborah Lippmann for her out-of-the-box thinking that I think really helped to kickstart the trend of amazing glittery polishes that we see now in the commercial and indie world. I feel like this polish really does deserve its place in nail polish history (or at least in mine!)

Deborah Lippmann Across the Universe is still available from her website as well as other retailers that carry Deborah Lippmann products (Nordstrom and Sephora are two that I've shopped with before).

So what are your thoughts on Across the Universe? Own it/love it/hate it? Do you have any polishes that used to wow you that seem to have lost their pizzazz? Thanks for looking everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment